Monday, March 21, 2016

5 Scriptures that Can Help You to be Submissive to Your Husband while Waiting

On my wedding day, my husband and I used Ephesians 5:22-33 as one of the verses we wanted to live by. I strongly believed what those verses have to say and I have by God's grace kept by them.


I believe as a wife it is extremely important to be submissive to your husband. It is something to take very seriously. We are their help meet. What we say, do, and how we respond affects them as a person. They need to be built up not torn down and nagged. But sometimes our husbands don't always agree with us. Submission becomes a little harder and makes it not any easier.


My husband and I got married in 2008. He didn't want to have children right away. Babies scared him. He was the youngest and really wasn't around babies as he grew up. He knew that we were going to have some but not that soon. So I had to wait. A year passed and he still was not sure about having a baby. Year and half? Nope not yet. It was really hard to have to wait. There were times that I would talk to him about it where I would push him away. I had to back off and had to respect his decision even though I didn't understand. Sometimes I even got angry and frustrated at him because I felt like he was being unreasonable.


Then in the late spring early summer of 2010 after a year of struggling with God on where I was at, He got ahold of me. He really made me see a lot of things about life. Through every detail, He was involved and guided me through His word. Having this spiritual breakthrough really helped me become more submissive to my husband.

If you want to see the verses to help you to be a wife that waits and submits to her husband go over to The Happy Wife of a Human Husband's page where I was able to guest post.

Here is some verses and tips that helped me to wait and submit to my husband but also to God.



1. His way is perfect. 2 Samuel 22:31

"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is shield to all who trust in Him."

Every single thing you go through is His perfect plan for you. There is no mistakes. Every situation, every person you come in contact with is apart of His perfect will for you. His word is there to help you understand this and to give you peace. Even when you mess up, He is still apart of it. He is involved in every detail of our lives.

It is also important that you and your husband discuss situations and significant issues. In those discussions you could bring it up on how God is intimately involved in every details of your lives. There might be those times he might not be ready to hear that. It is so easy to get upset too, but it is always imperative for you to talk these things through. That is why it is important for us as wives to constantly focus on God's word and pray for our husbands. But the key is believing God's way is perfect and what He says is true, so that whenever your husband says something that you disagree with, you can trust God and submit to your husband.



2. He knows all my days and has a plan for them. Psalm 139:16-17

"Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!"


Every single day that we live He has written them down in His book. He knows when you were born and when you are going to die. He knows what days you and your husband had that argument about that same issue that keeps coming up. Our Lord is sovereign and in control. Even your husband's days are all written down. God knows when your husband will change his mind or even if you will change your mind.  He has great things for the both of you, things to make you grow, things to make you understand your husband or other people. He wants and has the very best for your marriage.


3. He instructs and guides me in the way He wants me to go. Psalm 32:8-9

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Do not be like the horse or like the mule, which have no understanding, which must be harnessed with bit and bridle, else they will not come near you."


You might be thinking, "You don't know my husband. He doesn't understand what I am trying to do." Yes, that might be true but God knows the way you and your husband need to go. Allow Him to instruct you in the way He wants you to go. It might be the entirely different way from what you want. But who are you to know what is truly good for you? He knows and He will guide. Don't fight your husband! You are fighting God because He has called you to be submissive to him. Don't be like a horse with a bit and bridle. When you let go and be submissive, God will tell you and guide you in the way you should go.


4. A gentile and quiet spirit does work. 1 Peter 3:1-6

"Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives,  2 when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear. 3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror."


In today's society, wives don't have many examples of what a gentle and quiet spirit looks like. It doesn't mean that a wife has to sit quietly while her husband does all the talking. That's not right. It means allowing your actions to speak louder than your words. It means that if your husband is doing something that is not correct, but it does not go against God's word, your only choice is to fear and trust God and humbly pray that He can help you to be that woman who wins over her husband. In the long run, your husband will respect you because even if you didn't agree with him, you didn't put him down or nagged him.


5. Be thankful in the moment you are in. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Rejoice always,  17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."


The years I had to wait until my husband decided to have kids was the will of God for me. When I finally allowed God and His word to transform my heart, I am so thankful for the things we got to do. I honestly cannot imagine it any other way. God gave me such a thankful heart and enabled me to be content in every moment.


Very close to our fifth anniversary and only two months after getting off of birth control that I was on for five years, God allowed us to get pregnant. The following year we received a beautiful baby girl who, with all the joy in my heart, daddy loves and adores and treasures with his whole heart. God is faithful, so very faithful during those years.

1 comment :

  1. Oh, what a precious testimony and edifying post! I just praise God for all the lessons He taught you during your season of waiting. Oh, dear friend! I know how it feels to wait for a baby, too....12 1/2 long, agonizing years of waiting. Our situation was different, in that we struggled with infertility for many years. Doctors gave little to no hope, but GOD, in His infinite mercy and goodness to us, opened my barren womb for one moment in time and sent us a precious baby boy, who is now 15 and brings so much joy to our lives and home every, single day. I am SO thankful to be a Mama! Oh, God is so good....I am SO grateful that He sent you a baby, too, and so thankful you and I met, as you are surely a blessing to me. God bless you abundantly, in return. :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top