Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Ways to be in an Accountability Relationship

Accountability is one of the keys of success for meeting the goals we set for ourselves and our families. It has always been exciting to see through the years how God has put people in my life to keep me accountable. They gave me so much wisdom and insight through the good and bad times. Their lives were examples to me on how I wanted to live my life. Their presence has made me a better person, which in turn has helped me to meet the goals I have set for myself and my family.

God has shown me through the ladies in my life who have kept me accountable how to be accountable to others.

1) I need to be intentional.
I need to pray and step out in faith intentionally to that person He guides me to. If I am not intentional, it is so easy to just slack off. I know that the friend of mine with four c sections was intentional with me, especially during those countless times I was not able to answer the phone. I am thankful for her being intentional with me.

2) When I am keeping someone accountable I need to share with them the promises of God.
He is the one that made this relationship happen. He deserves the credit. He is the one who knows my heart and this person's heart and how we can encourage each other. All of that is from His Word. It is His faithfulness to us and in return, our faithfulness to that other person.

3) When we are in an accountability relationship, we have to depend on God and not the other person.
That person is going to let us down--no doubt about it. They are as imperfect as we are. God is the only One who is perfect and reliable. In order to be there for someone, we need a God who is reliable and stable, especially when we feel unable to help that person.


Sometimes in our lives we might be the one who needs accountability. I know when I was discovering new things about myself that I didn't like, I really needed someone to come alongside of me.

One way one can find accountability is asking their pastor if he knows anyone in the church. That is how I met my mentor Jo. She walked with me through a dark time in my life where she directed me to God's word and helped me to see how He is intimately involved in every detail of my life.

Another way one can find a person of accountability is to seek out a group of ladies through a Bible study. I know that when I found out I was pregnant, my mommy group at my church was a huge source of accountability to me. We were able to share prayer requests and struggles we were going through and knew it stayed right there in that group.

Sometimes your pastor's wife is an amazing person to talk with. I know for me the past two churches I have been apart of, I was able to call the pastor's wife and they would give me a listening ear. One of them even set up a time to just talk in person.

Recently, I have also discovered that there is a lot of Facebook groups that also keep you accountable. They are the type of accountability one can use if you don't want strings attach. I know for me in my No. More. Angry MOB Facebook group has posted something that I need at that very moment. The group moderator always brings up the importance of scripture and the power of speaking it when I feel angry.

No matter if you are a person who wants to keep someone accountable or if you are needing someone to come alongside with you during this hard time, accountability is the key. I encourage you to look at the people in your life, past and present, to see how they have challenged you to be a better person. In return, through those relationships, you can continue to grow and be there for your family.   

2 comments :

  1. Great points to keep accountability. It's so important to have someone you can trust to share your difficulties with and pray with you. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm visiting from the 'Tell His Story' link-up. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words and for visiting ; )

      Delete

Back to Top