Sunday, December 6, 2015

Praying for 30 days- day 26

Psalm 23:4
"Yea, though, I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

God, I pray that ________ would know You and receive the comfort of Your Presence while facing any dark valley. Help _________ to trust You and not be afraid. (Today I pray by Stonecroft ministries)

As I have stated earlier in this prayer journey, my husband's 92 year old grandfather is not doing well. We found out later on that he has terminal cancer and he is dying. My husband is taking this really hard because he is super close to his grandfather. I prayed this prayer for him today because I cant imagine going through a time of knowing your life is about to end and you have no hope. He is in a constant state of helpless and depression. He does not have the peace that one can have holding onto today's scripture.

I have done a study on this chapter some while back where I looked up what was the purposes of the rod and staff for a shepherd. The rod is a symbol of strength. It shows power and authority. The rod also is used to discipline and correct the sheep. But it was also tool to for counting and examining the sheep. The rod showed who was in control which gave the sheep peace and comfort that they were taken care of.

The staff is the opposite of the rod. It is a symbol of concern and compassion. It demonstrates longsuffering and kindness where the shepherd could draw his sheep together in an intimate way. The shepherd also used it as he guided his sheep along various paths.

As God is our shepherd, we can find hope and peace in these roles that He has in our lives. It should also make us want to share these concepts with other people who are going through a hard time in life and don't know who God is. How do we not know that God could be using you as a tool during this hard time in their lives? I continue to pray for my husband's grandfather and the role God wants me to do even if right now it is just praying.
   

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top